Just CrossStitch Newsletter
|Just Stitchin'||Tips & Techniques||Free Project||Reader Feedback||The Last Stitch|
Khokhloma is a technique of Russian folk-art painting that typically depicts vividly colorful floral and fruit motifs. Two of the dominant colors in this style are red and gold, both of which are depicted beautifully in this project. Plus, four colors of French knots appear and offer stitchers more than 100 chances to practice and master the French knot stitch. Pay careful attention to the number of strands and wraps recommended as these will create knots of varying size, which lends an interesting texture and feel to the design.
Khokhloma is a Russian folk-art painting technique. The colorful floral and fruit motifs translate quite well into cross-stitch!
Designed by Barbara Sestok
- Light sand 28-count Cashel linen: 11 x 11 inches
- 8 1/2 x 9 1/2-inch wooden collector's cabinet with 3 1/2 x 3 1/2-inch design area
- Pattern Chart
Russian Khokhloma-Berries was stitched on light sand 28-count Cashel linen by Zweigart using Anchor floss. Finished piece was inserted in Small Collector's Cabinet #35341 from Sudberry House.
43 wide x 45 high
Approximate Design Size
- 11-count 3 7/8" x 4"
- 14-count 3" x 3 1/4"
- 16-count 2 1/2" x 2 7/8"
- 18-count 2 1/4" x 2 1/2"
- 22-count 1 7/8" x 2"
- 28-count over two threads 3" x 3 1/4"
1. Center and stitch design, stitching over two threads using three strands floss for Cross-Stitch, three strands or one strand floss for Backstitch, and two strands floss for Lazy-Daisy Stitch. Use number of strands and wraps for French Knot as indicated on color key.
1. Insert stitched piece in cabinet following manufacturer's directions.
Copyright © 1993 Garden-Fresh Cross-Stitch, Leisure Arts. All rights reserved.
Download this pattern (1.06 MB)
|Top 20 in Cross-Stitch at AnniesCatalog.com||View all top 20 items »|